BLAC List: Detroit Urban Ice Cream Stores
Cool off with a cone – or cup – of the tastiest ice cream the D has to offer. From chains to independent spots, check out BLAC's 2013 roundup of ice cream shops all around Detroit.
While Detroit is known for its brisk winters, we have our fair share of scorchers, too—and a heaping scoop of ice cream is a great way to beat the heat. From walk-up ice cream bars to a popular sit-down restaurant—and everything in between, check out BLAC Detroit's 2013 list of great places to grab a cone in the city.
- Address: 541 Monroe St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-963-9603
- Hours: 8 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday
Known for selling a variety of pastries and desserts, this bakery also serves 20 flavors of Stroh's Ice Cream, including Bumpy Cake N’ Cream, Triple Chocolate Overload and the most popular—Butter Pecan.
- Address: 14900 E. Eight Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-521-8196
- Hours: Open 24 hours
No longer limited to the original 31 flavors, now Baskin Robins offers almost 50 flavors including Lunar Cheesecake, Nutty Coconut and Jamoca Almond Fudge.
- Address: 1014 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-964-2185
- Hours: noon-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
It's no wonder Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream is known for being wild! The company features flavors like What a Cluster, Phish Food and New York Super Fudge Chunk. They even have a flavor called Late Night Snack, inspired by Late Night host Jimmy Fallon, which includes vanilla ice cream, caramel swirl and potato chip clusters.
- Address: 300 Renaissance Center, Detroit
- Phone: 313-392-9090
- Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, noon-10 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Enjoy Ashby's-brand ice cream flavors like Anniversary Cake or Bear Claws in a cup, cone, sundae, shake or float during your next visit to the this sweet shop, located in the Renaissance Center.
- Address: 540 Monroe St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-964-2715
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight daily
Try one of Cold Stone's creations or choose your favorite ice cream and fixings to create your own unique desert. With fun mix-ins like Butterfingers and Snickers, and ice cream flavors like cheesecake and Sinless Sans Fat, the possibilities are delectably endless.
- Address: 24671 W. Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-538-1570
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Satisfy your sweet tooth with an ice cream Blizzard in one of 25 various flavors with soft-serve ice cream. Choose from Mocha Chip, Strawberry CheeseQuake, Snickers, Cookie Dough and more.
- Address: 19010 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-731-8570
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Sunday
This dairy spot, which serves soft serve as well as Stroh's hand-packed ice cream, offers its customers the choice of many flavors including Superman, Cookies and Cream and Black Walnut.
- Address: 2010 Springwells St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-841-3522
- Hours: 10:30 a.m. -9:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-9:00 p.m. Sunday. Note: Will stay open until 10 p.m. each night after June 15
Grab a classic soft serve vanilla, chocolate or a twist—or even flavors including Green Mint and Chip and Black Cherry.
- Address: 2461 Russell St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-393-6016
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Choose from a wide range of flavors from Hudsonville Ice Cream at this parlor in the Eastern Market neighborhood. Some of the most popular flavors are Grand Traverse Bay Cherry Fudge, Michigan Deer Traxx and Sleeping Bear Dunes Bear Hug.
- Address: 20018 Van Dyke St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-892-7279
- Hours: Noon-10 p.m. daily
Grab either a soft serve or hand-packed frozen treat at this walk-up dairy bar where customers rave about the Butter Pecan and Cookies and Cream flavors.
- Address: 4336 W. Vernor Hwy., Detroit
- Phone: 313-658-3217
- Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
This spot offers a range of frozen treats at low costs. In addition to ice cream, they also serve paletas, or fresh fruit popsicles, and agua frescas, a fresh punch that comes in a variety of flavors.
- Address: 511 W. Canfield St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-9470
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
This popular sit-down restaurant in the Midtown neighborhood, serves house-made ice cream in flavors ranging from Vanilla to Coffee to Sea Salt Caramel.