BLAC LIST: Free Outdoor Movie Summer Season in Metro Detroit
Enjoy all the comforts of a movie theater outside at these 2013 film screening events in southeast Michigan
Stealing a scene from the movie "Field of Dreams": If you build it, they will come. If you build it with a screen for showing their favorite movies for free, they will come with friends, blankets, popcorn and Diet Coke. The following locations around metro Detroit have the right idea when it comes to al fresco film viewing here in metro Detroit.
Reminder: Movie nights are subject to change depending on weather conditions. Be sure to check ahead for the latest before you visit.
- Venue: Campus Martius Park
- Address: 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Time and dates: 8:30 p.m. every Saturday, July 13-27 and Aug. 3-10
Naturally, a film viewing series with "Faygo" in its title will have movies that pop! Faygo beverages and popcorn will be available for purchase at Campus Martius. Upcoming movie titles include:
- "Les Miserables" on July 13 (rated PG-13): Featuring French Revolution and romance, see the musical about dreaming dreams and dreams gone by.
- "Skyfall" on July 20 (rated PG-13): In this latest action-packed installment of the 007 franchise, watch James Bond handle the sky falling with secret agent ease.
- "Silver Linings Playbook" on July 27 (rated R): Want to know what Academy Award-winning relationship chemistry looks like? Pull up a lawn chair with your sweetie and take notes on this romantic comedy-drama film.
- "Lincoln" on Aug. 13 (rated PG-13): See actor Daniel Day-Lewis' best Abraham Lincoln impression. He won a Best Actor Oscar for this role, so perhaps his impression is spot-on.
- "Life of Pi" on Aug. 10 (rated PG): It's "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" meets the tiger, the boy and the lifeboat. This adventure film will have you anchored to your seat.
- Venues: various parks in metro Detroit
- Times and dates: evening time but may vary; check ahead for specifics
The "Park It" tour is responsible for family-friendly film showings sprouting up across metro Detroit's parks. Pick a location near you and "park it" under the stars for an afternoon of music, food and fun complemented by an evening free movie screening. Visit the Park It for Fun website for complete film and park schedule.
- Venue: New Center Park
- Address: 2990 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
- Times and dates: 8 p.m. food and beverages and 9:30 p.m. show, Wednesdays, July-August
Wednesday Night at the Movies is your excuse to leave the house for some unconditioned air at New Center Park's free movie screenings. Upcoming titles include:
- "Rushmore" on July 3 (rated R): A fantastically funny movie about private school love, expulsion and revolution.
- "School Daze" on July 10 (rated R): This musical Spike Lee film sees fraternity and sorority members clash with other students for great laughs.
- "Dirty Dancing" on July 17 (rated PG-13): Don't worry; this isn't a Skinemax film. See Patrick Swayze prove "dirty" dancing can be decent.
- "School of Rock" Wednesday, July 24 (rated PG-13): Who says being a rock star can't be taught? This film will rock 'n' roll you with laughter.
- "What About Bob?" on July 31 (rated PG): See this comedic story of why you should never vacation with your psychiatric patients.
- "Star Trek" on Aug. 7 (rated PG-13): If this is your first Star Trek exposure, you should bring a Trekkie with you to translate. See the film based on the TV series that sparked a worldwide culture.
- "Batman" on Aug. 14 (rated PG-13): The first of the Batman films and the beginning of a long nocturnal hero obsession.
- "Step Brothers" on Aug. 21 (rated R): Want to know what it's like to have a stepbrother? This film may be an exaggeration but it's still laugh-out-loud funny.
- "Pee-wee's Big Adventure" on Aug. 28 (rated PG): The '80s favorite Pee-wee Herman is led on a hilarious cross-country adventure to reclaim his stolen bike.
- Venue: Shack Community Garden
- Address: Trumbull and Merrick streets, Detroit
- Times and dates: dusk, Sundays throughout summer
Every Sunday, Woodbridge Pub brings new meaning to brew and view. Grab a brew and view a movie in the Shack Community Garden across from the pub where each night there is a new vendor selling made in Detroit products.
- Venue: Booth Park
- Address: North Old Woodward Avenue, a bit south of Harmon Street, Birmingham
- Times and dates: 7:30 p.m., select Friday dates
- "The Lion King" on July 19 (rated G): See Simba become the king of the lions in this Disney family classic.
- "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" on Aug. 9 (rated PG): Who would have thought escaped wild animals would be trying to get back to the zoo?
Does your neighborhood have a place to show outdoor movies? Add them to the list by sending us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org.