Dietary suggestions and where to buy fresh produce in metro Detroit
March is National Nutrition Month. Here are some ways to eat well and be well with a few dietary options and local grocers offering fresh, locally grown produce. Be sure to let us know your favorite healthy snacks and places to get them!
10 Power Foods You Should Eat Regularly
The next time you’re in the supermarket, fill your cart with some of these items!
- Blueberries provide vitamins A and C, antioxidants and fiber. May help preserve memory function, prevent cancer and improve blood circulation.
- Whole Grains provide fiber, which helps fuel the mind, calm inflamed tissues, strengthen the heart and keep the colon healthy.
- Yogurt has “good” bacteria that helps the immune and digestive systems.
- Turmeric may prevent tumors, arthritis, and inflammation.
- Bananas contain tryptophan, providing a feeling of calmness, and potassium, which helps retain calcium.
- Green Tea prevents most cancers and the growth of bad bacteria, such as E. coli and Salmonella.
- Fish, such as mackerel and salmon, provide omega-3 fatty acids, which work to protect the heart, cells, joints, and brain.
- Spinach and beets are both good sources for omega-3 fatty acids and folate, which help grow and develop muscle tissue and enhance heart health.
- Sweet Potatoes can improve metabolism and immunity and prevent diabetes.
- Lentils provide protein, B vitamins, fiber, protein, iron, calcium and zinc.