It's important to look your best for any occasion, so fashion blogger Nicole A. Carter gives you makeup tips and clothing advice to keep you looking great every day of the week
PEARL OF WISDOM
According to fashion professional Nicole A. Carter, style is not necessarily fashion. It’s about expressing who you are through the way you dress, groom and adorn yourself. Individual style and creativity earn respect-that is what fashion is all about. Nicole has dressed, styled and produced fashion and art events for celebrities, designers and many other clients. Nicole imparts the wisdom of her Granny Annie Pearl, the most stylish woman she knows, on BLACdetroit.com twice a month. Granny Annie Pearl’s most important advice is: “Respect the public.” By this she means take pride in the way you look and present the best you, always. Would you want to be remembered the way you look in the public eye? Everyone has fans whether or not you know it. Be your own celebrity, respect the public.
he art of style is, well, an art, complete with tricks and tools we should all master.
As my Granny Annie Pearl advises, there are foundation pieces necessary to build a respectable wardrobe:
- Camisole and slip set in a neutral color
- A great supporting black bra and panty set (matching please)
- A black suit with jacket, pencil skirt and slacks (these should be gabardine wool, tailored to your body)
- Trench coat
- A great classic leather pump in a black, nude and pop color (add taps to preserve)
- Matching classic handbag and wallet (no logos, in a quality, long-lasting leather)
- White cotton button down blouse (tailored)
- Set of pearls or classic statement jewelry set including earrings (respectable size), bracelet and necklace, and a ring you can wear to any occasion
- Evening shoe (strapping serves most cocktail-to-evening occasions)
Basic Fab 15 Face, Detroit-based makeup professional Shalonda A. gives these recommendations for simple makeup products and tools:
- Tinted moisturizer with spf 15 or higher (Iman Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup has a great one)
- Black mascara (L’Oreal Voluminous)
- Eyelash curler (Shu Uemura makes the best)
- Black waterproof eyeliner by L'Oreal (for evening)
- Bronzer (Shalonda A. recommends Covergirl Queen Collection) can be used as eye shadow and blush
- Brow gel (Maybelline and E.L.F. make good brow gels)
- Lip gloss (NYX Megashine Lip gloss in neutral)
- Basic makeup brushes can be purchased by E.L.F., sold at Target for $1 each! (buy a blush brush-it can be used as a eye shadow brush as well)
It takes time and dedication to build a great, long-lasting wardrobe. Once you start with these basics, it will be easier to incorporate trends, which no doubt are fun, and retain your respect for the public!
For further fashion and style advice, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me at Twitter.com/FashionAsArtPro.
Fashion-As-Art Professional Nicole A. Carter